Tuesday 7 January 2014

Off Tempo - Notice of Cancellation

Hello everyone,

It is with genuine regret that I have taken the decision to cancel the school play, Off Tempo, this year.
While I understand that this will be disappointing for many people, myself included, I have thought long and hard before reaching this decision and feel that the reasons for ceasing production are convincing enough.
Before I explain those reasons, I’d like to say that all of the work done so far by the writers and cast has been excellent and entertaining, and it is important to note that the reasons have nothing to do with any pupil contribution so far.

My reasons are as follows;
Time – we have only eleven weeks left before our performance dates. In this time we have to finish blocking more than half of the play, choreograph the dance sequences, rehearse the music, rehearse the music with the scenes, get costumes, fit costumes, organise lighting, sound effects, props, etc., put in any orders for specialty items, technical rehearsal, dress rehearsal as well as creating any multimedia resources for use in the play. Not impossible to do all that in eleven weeks, but when you take into account the pressures on the rest of us – notable 4th year prelims – and a third year parents evening removing one of our rehearsals (as well as several other weeks where study club will not be running) and it starts to look like an un-climbable mountain of tasks. I don’t want to put anyone on stage if they’re not going to look their best, or put anything in front of an audience which is not ready.
Exams and the Curriculum for Excellence – With this being the first year of the National 5 prelims, and having Intermediate, Higher and Adv. Higher prelims approaching as well, the priority for all students should be on success in school. If the school play, as I have tried to keep it in previous years, had minimal impact on this then there is no conflict. Given the time constraints mentioned above, it would be too disruptive to the learning of the seniors to try and push on or push back the dates of the performance.
Absences – I include myself in this, as well as anyone who has been/will be absent from a rehearsal. It pushes everything back. Normally, if someone is absent without informing me, or multiple times, recasting is the result (a necessity, not a punishment) but when there is a legitimate reason, a note from a parent and I’m told in time, it isn’t prudent to punish people but at the same time rehearsals can end up behind schedule.

Please understand that this is a very difficult choice for me to make, I do not make it lightly, and I hope you can appreciate that I have made it in the best interest of you as a company.

I am not – however – suggesting that we do nothing. For some, especially the seniors, this is the last chance to perform for an audience.
I have a backup plan which I would like to discuss to provide an opportunity for producing something entertaining, engaging, pupil-devised and most importantly, possible in our limited time frame.

I would therefore like to hold a meeting on Friday 10th January in Room 40 at 1.10pm for any actors in S4-6 who are already involved in the play (and S3 if you take Drama) and any musicians who you can bring along, to discuss this plan.

Mr. Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment